Born and raised in Haiti until college, migrated to Canada 50 years ago. As Corporate Credit Chief for Domtar Corporation, she provides oversight and support of credit risk management on a global scale of a portfolio of $700.0M worldwide with 7 teams and 50 employees located in different geographic regions of the world.
With over 25 years of extensive management and progressive operational experience in corporate credit administration, credit risk & operations, credit enhancements and global commerce that has spanned the Americas, Europe, Asia and the Middle East in various sectors of the economy. Before joining Domtar, Madeleine held executive global positions with Abitibi/Bowater, Teleglobe, Microsoft, Softimage; Foxboro and Archer Daniels Midland.
- Set up a world class corporate credit structure to prepare for Domtar’s growth (2008)
- Systematically and efficiently integrated Domtar’s seven acquisitions within the Credit Operations (2012-2015)
- Elected president of the unsecured creditors committee in the cross border bankruptcy of Quebecor World in New York (2007)
- A key player, responsible for an in-depth exercise to cut operation costs for $35M in savings (2005)
- No losses recorded on assets of $20M during the economic crisis in Argentina, Venezuela and Dominican Republic (2002–2004)
- Demonstrated significant ingenuity in the K-mart bankruptcy — $5M in savings (2003)
- Relocated and integrated Abitibi’s credit operations from New York to Montreal for $3M in savings (2000)
- Coordinated the repatriation of Teleglobe credit operations from Redmond, Virginia to Montreal — $4M in savings (1999)
- Set up a risk management department to support Softimage’s operations in Europe and Asia (1996)
Madeleine holds a Directors Education Program (DEP) diploma in Governance from the University of Toronto, Rotman School of Management; a short MBA from McGill Executive Institute; a BA in Specialized Translation from Concordia University and a diploma in Finance from HEC jointly with the Canadian Credit Institute.
A respected lecturer in the field of credit risk management and global commerce, Madeleine is a recurring Keynote guest speaker for major global conferences in her Industry such as: ICTF (International Credit Trade Finance); FCIB (Finance Credit International Business); NACM (National Association Credit Managers); CCR (Credit, Collections, Risk) and CIC (Credit Institute of Canada). Her articles are published in specialized Credit magazines globally.
Since returning to Montreal in 2000 from a 2 year assignment in Redmond, Virginia for Teleglobe/Bell, she is invited to provide mentorship and sponsorship to young professionals for various institutions and organizations around Montreal: Concordia University, Young Canadian in Finance, Jeune Chambre de Commerce de Montreal, Jeune Chambre de Commerce Haïtienne de Montreal etc.
Boards and advisory committees
Madeleine active involvement in business and humanitarian causes spans over 25 years of service through participation on numerous public, governmental and non-profit organizations boards and advisory committees. She is currently serving on the boards of Université de Montréal, Investissements Québec and the Canadian Center for the Purpose of the Corporation as an independent director.
- Member of Canadian Center for the Purpose of the Corporation Advisory Board (2020 – …)
- Member of Amref Canada Board of Directors, Fundraising Committee (2020 – …)
- Member of Concordia University Women in Leadership Council (2017 – …)
- Member of Investissements Quebec Board of Directors, Audit Committee; Risk Management Committee (2014 – …)
- Member of Université de Montréal Board of Directors, Audit Committee (2015-…)
- Member of the Conseil des Arts de Montréal Board of Directors, Executive Committee, 1st Vice-President (2014—2020)
- Member of the International Women Forum Canada Board of Directors (2004 – 2006; President of the Montreal Chapter (2017-2019)
- Member of Tourism Montreal Board of Directors, Audit Committee (2017-2019)
- Founder, L.E.A.D. (2016 – …)
- Co-Founder, Excellence Québec (2016 – …)
- Member of the Board of Directors (2003-2016) and President (2013—2016) of École Supérieure de Ballet du Québec
- Member of the Fonds Capital Culture Québec Board of Directors, Audit Committee (2011-2017)
- Member of the St-Mary’s Hospital Board of Directors, Audit Committee (2011–2015)
- Member of the FONKOZE Board of Directors (2011–2015)
- Founding member (2010) and Chairman of the Board of KANPE Foundation (2012–2014)
- Member of the JMMBAICC (John Molson MBA International Case Competition) Jury (2010-2016)
- Member of the Credit Institute of Canada Board of Directors (2010–2013)
- Member of the FFDPM (Festival des films sur les droits de la Personne in Montreal) Governing Council (2009–2010)
- Member of the Executive Committee and Co-Chairman of the International Women’s Forum, Montreal chapter (2007–2013)
- Member of the Foundation of Greater Montreal Board of Directors, Governance Committee (2007–2013)
- Member of the YWCA Board of Directors (2007–2009)
- Founder, AFAPHM (Association des femmes d’affaires et professionnelles haïtiennes de Montréal) (1997-2004)
- Member of the MR3 Board of Directors (2001–2008)
- Member and President of the Résidence Projet Chance (1993–2003)
Awards and honours
Over the years, Madeleine had received a number of awards in recognition of her accomplishments and involvements in social and community causes.
- Leadership award of AFFQ – Women In Finance (2016)
- Diversity 50 in 2014 by the Canadian Board Diversity Council (2014)
- Cover page of the Domtar Corporation’s annual report (2013)
- Toussaint Louverture Award from JCCHM (2011)
- Designated one of the 8 key international business women by Premières en Affaires magazine (2011)
- Grand Mentor by MR3 (2011)
- CCR Credit Excellence Awards, London, Great Britain, (2011)
- NACM Leadership Award for the advancement of the profession (2009)
- SP Leadership Award (2005)
- CCQ Diversity Award (2004)
- Canadian businesswoman by Femmes de têtes (2003)
- NFG Award for the expansion of the Résidence projet Chance from 23 units to 42 units (2003)
- Réseau des femmes d’affaires et professionnelles noires du Québec Award (2001)
- J.H. Moore Award for Excellence from the Labatt Group (1992)
A word that defines you
“As you are ascending, always remember to take someone with you” – Madeleine Féquière